Substance abuse impacts the lives of countless individuals throughout the world. Whether it be an addiction to alcohol, illicit drugs, prescription medications, or a combination of more than one substance, the devastation that can arise from the presence of an addiction can be far-reaching and long-lasting. An addiction will inevitably have a negative impact on not only the lives of the people using the substances, but also on the lives of those around them. Whenever someone begins to engage in the use of substances to such an extent that it elicits the onset of disturbances in their cognitive, behavioral, and or physiological functioning, he or she has likely developed a substance use disorder. And, sadly, once an addiction to any type of substance has developed, it can be monumentally difficult to overcome.
At Sunrise Recovery Ranch, we recognize the immense battle that attempting to overcome an addiction to drugs or alcohol can pose for our clients. For this reason, we have devised specialized programming that is tailored to help individuals overcome their compulsions to abuse substances, while learning the tools necessary for successfully managing future cravings and preventing relapse. At Sunrise Recovery Ranch, a new beginning can be discovered.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
Discovering that a family member or other loved one has developed an addiction to drugs or alcohol can be devastating. You have likely experienced a number of different emotions regarding your loved one’s behavior, ranging from anger and frustration to overwhelming fear and worry. While you may feel at a loss as to what you can do for your loved one, there are, in fact, some tangible ways that you can help him or her. Consider the following:
- First, learn all that you can about your loved one’s drug of choice. Whether it is alcohol, prescription medication, or an illicit drug, gaining knowledge about the signs of abuse, as well as the effects of such abuse, can provide you will valuable information regarding how to help him or her. This knowledge can assist you in recognizing the signs of abuse, while also helping you recognize warning signs of overdose, allowing you to set a plan in motion in case such a tragic occurrence should arise.
- Additionally, it can be extremely beneficial to become educated on the disease of addiction. By doing so, it can help you gain a better understanding of what your loved one is going through, while also helping you realize that much of your loved one’s behavior is no longer in his or her control. Learning these facts can serve to lower your frustrations and increase a sense of compassion.
- Research treatment centers that specialize in providing care for individuals who are struggling with an addiction to your loved one’s drug of choice.
- Sit down with your loved one and share with him or her the concerns that you have. If appropriate, incorporate other people in your loved one’s life into the conversation so that he or she can see that his or her behaviors are impacting more people than just him or herself.
- Expect that your loved one may initially be angry or come across as defensive. Remain patient, calm, and nonjudgmental.
- Share with your loved one the research you have compiled regarding various treatment centers and offer to help him or her in getting the treatment process started. This could include calling the centers to inquire about their services or accompanying him or her to any appointments that may be scheduled.
- Once treatment has begun, demonstrate your ongoing support and encouragement by engaging in family therapy sessions, if they are offered, and by consistently checking in with your loved one to see how he or she is doing. Ensure that your loved one knows that he or she is not alone.
Why Consider Treatment at Sunrise Recovery Ranch
When an addiction to drugs or alcohol is allowed to persist, the detriments that can arise in the users’ lives can be life-altering. The particular type of substance that an individual is abusing will determine the type and severity of the physical effects that can develop. However, any type of substance will inevitably elicit negative health consequences in some manner. Additionally, as individuals begin to make the use of substances their top priority, other areas of their lives will become negatively impacted. Academic and occupational performance can be hindered, social interactions can become tainted, and one’s ability to adhere to the tasks of daily living can decline. Family discord can become common, marital strife can become prominent, and isolation can reign when substance abuse dominates an individual’s life. Fortunately, however, by engaging in therapeutic interventions, these detriments can be successfully overcome or avoided altogether.
Types of Treatment Offered at Sunrise Recovery Ranch
At Sunrise Recovery Ranch, we are dedicated to upholding a standard of excellence as we provide comprehensive, medically monitored chemical dependency treatment for individuals who are struggling with an addiction to alcohol or drugs. Our 10-acre, ranch-style treatment center is located in a serene setting that offers panoramic views of beautiful mountains and tranquil meadows and grasslands. In this setting, Sunrise Ranch offers clients the ideal environment to embark on their journey to recovery. Here, clients can escape the stressors of their everyday lives and place all of their time, energy, and focus on becoming well again.
Our expert team of therapists, drug counselors, nurses, and clinical technicians are devoted to meeting clients where they are at in their recovery and customizing their treatment experience to meet all of their needs. At Sunrise Ranch, we offer a designated men’s program and a women’s program where gender-specific groups are held and programming is altered based on the various issues that men and women face. During various activities, however, men and women will engage in programming together.
When engaging in residential treatment for substance abuse and addiction at Sunrise Recovery Ranch, clients will have the opportunity to take part in the following therapeutic interventions:
Detoxification: When clients come to us with drugs or alcohol still in their systems, it may be most appropriate for them to take part in the detoxification process prior to fully engaging in the therapeutic aspect of programming. Clients will be seen by the doctor within 24 to 48 hours of being admitted into the program. The detox process is monitored 24/7 by our compassionate nursing staff, and our treatment professionals do everything in their power to ensure that clients’ detox process is safe and as comfortable as possible.
Medication management: When clients come to us with a preexisting psychiatric diagnosis, they will be required to meet with our medical director or one of our physician’s assistants once each week. When a co-occurring psychiatric disorder is not present alongside a client’s addiction to a substance, then he or she will only be required to meet with the medical director or one of our physician’s assistants once during his or her stay. All medication management is handled by the medical director and our qualified nursing staff.
Individual therapy: Individual therapy sessions are an important part of the therapeutic process at Sunrise Ranch as they are designed to provide clients with time to meet one-on-one with a mental health professional to discuss any concerns they have or to review the progress they are making in treatment. Our certified addiction counselors work closely with our marriage and family therapist interns and trainees to conduct these sessions in a manner that is most beneficial to meeting the clients’ needs. Each client will meet with his or her substance abuse counselor twice per week for progress updates. The marriage and family therapist intern or trainee will also meet with the client at least once per week, with additional sessions being added on an as-needed basis.
Family therapy: Our marriage and family therapist interns and trainees will conduct family therapy sessions once each week if the client’s family members are available and if the client wishes to integrate them into his or her treatment plan. Depending upon the needs of the client, teleconference sessions with the client and his or her family members may also be incorporated into the client’s individual therapy sessions.
Group therapy: Group therapy sessions are a central component to the treatment offered at Sunrise Ranch, with numerous group sessions being held throughout the day. Marriage and family therapist interns, marriage and family therapist trainees, chemical dependency counselors, and clinical technicians are responsible for leading the various groups that clients participate in. Participation in these group sessions is required and the curriculum of topics that are covered during these sessions may include the following:
- Nutrition and wellness
- Defense mechanisms
- Anger management
- How the disease has impacted clients and their families in a negative manner
- Relapse prevention
Once clients have completed residential programming, they have the option of stepping down into our partial hospitalization program (PHP) or our intensive outpatient program (IOP). Case managers work with clients from the time that they are admitted into programming so that aftercare planning can begin and a continuing care plan can be put in place prior to their discharge. We will provide clients with recommendations for continuing care options that will be most beneficial in meeting their specific needs, which may include moving to a sober living home or engaging in outpatient programming. We will also work to ensure that all clients have a solid support system in place prior to leaving residential treatment.
If you or someone you care for is struggling with an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol, look no further than Sunrise Recovery Ranch. Our seamless continuum of evidence-based treatment interventions allows all of our clients to receive best practice treatment at any place and at any point in the life cycle of their addiction. Here, true recovery can be achieved and a bright future can be rediscovered.