Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in the United States, and alcohol use disorder (which is also commonly referred to as alcohol dependence or alcoholism) is the cause of considerable damage to individuals, families, and communities throughout the nation. Though alcohol is a legal substance that is safely consumed by many people, the drug poses significant risks when abused. When a person has become dependent upon alcohol, both the risks and the potential damage are increased exponentially. An individual who has developed alcohol use disorder will lose the ability to control his or her alcohol intake. He or she will consume alcohol more frequently and in greater quantities than is safe, and will continue to do so even after experiencing negative repercussions as a result of his or her alcohol abuse.
At Sunrise Recovery Ranch in Riverside, California, we understand the unique ways that alcohol use disorder impacts the lives of adult men and women, and we have developed specialized programming to help these individuals end their dependence upon alcohol, regain control over their thoughts and actions, and achieve long-term sobriety.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment in Riverside, California
The devastation of alcohol use disorder is not limited to the afflicted individual. Spouses, children, friends, and other loved ones can have their lives disrupted when a loved one has become dependent upon alcohol. If someone you care about is struggling with alcohol use disorder, please consider the following:
- First, understand that your loved one is not demonstrating a failure of discipline or a lack of will power. Your loved one is struggling with a mental health disorder that has robbed him or her of the ability to control his or her consumption of alcohol. Alcohol use disorder is not a character flaw; it is a progressive, devastating, and potentially fatal disease.
- Consult with experts, visit reputable web sites, and contact community-based support organizations to learn about alcohol use disorder. The better you understand what your loved one is experiencing, the more prepared you will be to provide meaningful support.
- Research the types of treatment that have helped others whose struggles were similar to what your loved one is experiencing, and identify alcohol addiction programs and rehab centers that appear to be best prepared to provide the care that your loved one needs.
- Talk to your loved one. Express your concerns, discuss what you have learned, and have a conversation about receiving care at an alcohol addiction treatment center. Do not blame or criticize your loved one. The point of this conversation is not to address past transgressions; your goal here is to get your loved one the help that he or she so desperately needs.
- Get help for yourself. Share your concerns with friends or family members and enlist them in the effort to get your loved one into an alcohol addiction treatment center. Depending upon the nature of your relationship with your loved one, you may also benefit from talking to a therapist or joining a support group to help deal with the damage that you have experienced as a result of your loved one’s alcohol abuse.
Finally, remember that alcohol abuse rehab is just the first step on the path of long-term recovery. For people who have struggled with alcohol use disorder, the effort to remain sober is a lifelong effort. Your loved one will need your continued support for years to come. Leave no doubt in his or her mind that you will be there every step of the way.
Why Consider Alcohol Abuse Treatment at our Rehab Center
It is difficult to overstate the degree of devastation that untreated alcohol use disorder can inflict on a person’s physical, psychological, and social well being. Chronic alcohol abuse has been associated with a wide range of health problems, including cardiomyopathy, hypertension, cirrhosis of the liver, alcoholic hepatitis, pancreatitis, and an increased risk for developing certain cancers. Alcohol’s negative impact on coordination can lead to slips, falls, automobile accidents, and other sources of injury. Continued exposure to alcohol has also been associated with diminished cognitive capacity, including impaired ability to form or recall memories, concentrate, focus, solve problems, and perform other executive functions. People who live with untreated alcohol use disorder also have an increased likelihood of experiencing problems at work, in school, and within the context of their family or other interpersonal relationships. Academic failure, job loss, financial distress, personal injury, legal problems including arrest and incarceration, long-term unemployment, homelessness, and suicidal ideation are among the many negative outcomes that can result from long-term alcohol abuse and alcohol use disorder.
Types of Alcohol Addiction Treatment Offered at Sunrise Recovery Ranch
Sunrise Recovery Ranch is a place of serenity and tranquility, where adult men and women who have been struggling with alcohol use disorder and certain co-occurring disorders can receive the care that they need to achieve the healthy, drug-free futures that they both desire and deserve.
Located on 10 secluded acres in Riverside, California, Sunrise Recovery Ranch provides comprehensive, medically monitored drug and alcohol addiction treatment on a ranch-style campus that is nestled amid pastoral meadows and majestic mountains. Within this peaceful environment, clients who are dealing with alcohol use disorder receive personalized care from teams of talented and experienced professionals. Free from the stresses and pressures of everyday life, Sunrise Ranch clients finally have the opportunity to place their complete focus on overcoming the obstacles that have been preventing them from living healthier lives. Working closely with therapists, counselors, nurses, and clinical technicians, our clients are empowered to play active roles in their own recovery.
In order to best address the unique issues and challenges that our clients face, Sunrise Recovery Ranch offers gender-specific treatment options within distinct men’s and women’s programs. To ensure a comprehensive alcohol abuse treatment experience that best prepares our clients to achieve and maintain lifelong recovery, we also provide a variety of therapeutic activities that our male and female clients participate in together.
Depending upon the unique needs of each person who chooses to heal with us, alcohol addiction rehab at Sunrise Recovery Ranch may include the following elements:
Detoxification: If a client arrives at Sunrise Recovery Ranch with alcohol or other substances of abuse still in his or her system, we offer detoxification services that include around-the-clock nursing care and monitoring to make the detox experience as safe and comfortable as possible. Clients who partake in our detox services will be seen by a doctor within 24 to 48 hours of admittance.
Medication management: Medication management services at Sunrise Recovery Ranch in Riverside, California are provided by our medical director and members of our nursing staff. Clients whose alcoholism is accompanied by a co-occurring mental health disorder are required to attend weekly meetings with either our medical director or one of our physician’s assistants. Individuals who are not experiencing co-occurring disorders will have one meeting with our medical director or a physician’s assistant.
Individual therapy: Individual therapy is an essential component at our alcohol rehab and treatment center Sunrise Recovery Ranch. Every person who heals with us has the opportunity to participate in at least two individual sessions each week. During these sessions, clients meet with their substance abuse counselor to discuss the progress they have made, process any successes or setbacks, and address any concerns that have arisen since their previous session. Coordinating closely with our certified addiction counselors, marriage and family therapist interns and trainees will also meet with each client on a weekly basis, with additional sessions available to be scheduled on a case-by-case basis.
Family therapy: If a client chooses to incorporate his or her family members into the treatment process, marriage and family therapist interns or trainees are available to conduct family therapy sessions on a weekly basis. Depending upon the specific needs of the client and his or her family members, additional family sessions may be held via teleconference during the client’s individual therapy sessions.
Group therapy: Group therapy sessions provide valuable opportunities for clients to share their knowledge, learn from the experiences of others, and practice important skills under the guidance of a qualified professional such as a marriage and family therapist intern, marriage and family therapist trainee, chemical dependency counselor, or clinical technician. Several group sessions are held every day to address a variety of topics, including the following:
- Defense mechanisms
- How the disease has impacted clients and their families in a negative manner
- Anger management
- Relapse prevention
- Nutrition and wellness
The day a client enters our rehab and treatment center for alcoholism in Riverside, his or her case manager will begin working on a continuing care plan to ensure that the client has the support that he or she needs to maintain and build upon the progress that he or she makes with us. Depending upon the specific needs of the client, aftercare planning may include coordinating with community-based support services, locating sober living environments, or identifying the friends, family members, and other individuals who will comprise the client’s personal support network.
Recognizing that our residential treatment center is just one step on the path of lifelong recovery from alcohol use disorder, we are proud to offer two step-down options. Clients who can benefit from more structured support after completing the residential phase of their recovery but before they return home may choose to enroll in either our partial hospitalization program (PHP) or our intensive outpatient program (IOP).
Ultimately, our primary objective at Sunrise Recovery Ranch is to provide our clients with the comprehensive solutions that will enable them to achieve their treatment goals and live healthier and more productive lives. By providing clinically sophisticated rehabilitation treatment in a supportive atmosphere of dignity and respect, we believe that Sunrise Recovery Ranch is the place where the devastation of alcoholism can be transformed into the hope of a brighter tomorrow.
How to Stop & Quit Drinking
If you or a loved one has been in the throes of a battle with alcohol abuse, you know just how difficult it might seem to imagine quitting drinking once and for all. When alcohol has been used as a tool for coping with stress, in spite of negative consequences, one may wonder how he or she will manage without the substance.
Alcohol addiction is powerful, but at our rehab center, we find ways to empower each man and woman in our care to connect with his or her innate strengths, and overcome this damaging disease. Know that hope for a brighter, alcohol-free future exists, and with the proper supports, you can reclaim the healthy, vibrant life you deserve. Change can begin today, and you can start down the path to a new future and a brighter tomorrow by taking time to reflect, and by considering the following:
- Sadly, shame over addiction prevents many individuals from accessing the support they need. Remember that alcohol dependence is a disease, and often professional help is needed to overcome it. It takes great bravery and fortitude to seek treatment, and individuals who make this choice should be applauded.
- Take an honest assessment of your drinking, and commit to making your health and well being a priority over everything else. This might seem self-absorbed at first, but remember that in order to truly heal, and to truly be available to the people in your life that matter, you need to take steps to put yourself first.
- When you are ready, begin researching options for care in your area, and focus on alcohol programs and rehab centers that provide services that are a good fit for your needs. Make a few phone calls to ask questions about programming, or ask for a loved one’s help in this endeavor.
- Prepare to be patient with yourself. The journey to sustained sobriety is a lifelong process, invariably full of hurdles and missteps from time to time. By acknowledging that temptation and subsequent relapse are common, especially in the early days of recovery, you will be better able to recommit to your goals when these things happen.