Sunrise Ranch provides obsessive-compulsive disorder treatment rooted in a science-based, research-supported clinical model to ensure a healthier, more satisfying life, without addiction.
Learn more about OCD treatment at Sunrise Ranch in Riverside, CA
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, also known as OCD, is a mental illness that is characterized by obsessions and compulsions, and it can affect a sufferer’s ability to function effectively in his or her life in a profoundly negative way. Obsessions are the intrusive, unwelcome thoughts that individuals experience, while compulsions are behaviors undertaken in an attempt to reduce the anxiety that arises from those obsessions. Sometimes a person also begins using substances in an attempt to reduce his or her anxiety, but, unfortunately, this often can have the effect of worsening existing OCD symptoms and creating new problems as well.
At Sunrise Ranch in Riverside, California, we understand the pain of struggling with OCD, and we understand how that pain can be compounded when a person is also struggling with substance abuse. For these reasons, we have designed specialized rehab and programming to help people at our treatment center with substance use disorders and co-occurring OCD find healing and freedom from the grip of these life-altering disorders.
Helping a loved one get treatment for OCD
Watching a loved one struggle with substance abuse can be painful, but watching a loved one suffer from substance abuse and co-occurring OCD can feel almost unbearable. While it may feel as though there is little you can do to help, there are actually a number of steps you can take to help your loved one through his or her struggle, such as:
- Research obsessive-compulsive disorder and research your loved one’s substance(s) of choice. The more you can learn about your loved one’s struggles, the better able you will be to empathize with him or her and help be an ally in recovery. You might also consider speaking to a mental health treatment provider who can advise you on how substance use and OCD may interact and what you can do to help your loved one.
- Research treatment centers and select a few that offer comprehensive rehab that may be a good fit for your loved one.
- Have an open conversation with your loved one. Let your loved one know you are aware of his or her battle with substance use and OCD, but make sure to emphasize your support. Your loved one is already struggling, so try to remain as open and nonjudgmental as possible. Your patient and continuing support has the potential to be a powerful source of help for your loved one.
- Should your loved one decide to enter treatment, offer to help with logistics. Set up appointments with treatment center staff, and accompany your loved one to those appointments. Also, maintain an active presence during his or her time in treatment. Check in regularly with him or her, and request regular updates from his or her treatment providers.
- Make sure to also take care of yourself. Caring for someone struggling with OCD and a substance use disorder can be frustrating and tiring, so make sure to do things that revitalize you. Spend time exercising and make time for hobbies and other relationships.
Why consider treatment for OCD at Sunrise Ranch in Riverside, CA
If it is left untreated, substance abuse with co-occurring OCD can profoundly affect a sufferer’s life in a negative way. Someone may struggle to perform at work, possibly leading to loss of job and subsequent economic difficulties. In addition, these disorders can place immense strain on social interactions, possibly leading to broken relationships, divorce, or social isolation. A person may also experience physiological problems, such as lesions on hands from excessive washing or organ damage from substance use. Finally, death from suicide or overdose is also an ever-present threat. Fortunately, it is possible to avoid or minimize these negative effects with prompt, effective rehabilitation at a quality treatment center.
Types of OCD treatment offered at Sunrise Ranch in Riverside, CA
Located on 10 acres of beautiful property in sunny Riverside, California, Sunrise Ranch is dedicated to providing caring and effective treatment for people struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. We are committed to the pursuit of health and freedom from addiction, and we employ the best and most cost-effective evidence-based treatments and rehabilitation to help each of our clients break free from substance use disorders and co-occurring OCD. To that end, we provide a safe environment for our clients to establish a foothold in sobriety while also addressing their co-occurring mental health concerns while at our treatment center.
By choosing to heal with us, each client will work closely with a team of caring treatment professionals, including drug counselors, therapists, nurses, and clinical technicians who are devoted to helping our clients heal. Treatment and rehab at Sunrise Ranch is comprehensive and can include the following interventions:
Detoxification: Clients who come to Sunrise Ranch with substances in their systems typically require detox before they are able to participate in the full spectrum of treatment that Sunrise Ranch has to offer. During the detox process, we provide 24-hour nursing care and medical monitoring, and each client will meet with our physician within 24-48 hours of admission.
Medication management: Individuals who come to us with co-occurring OCD often require medications to help alleviate the symptoms of their mental health disorder. These clients are provided with weekly visits from our staff medical team and their day-to-day medication needs will be monitored and managed by our medical director or our nursing staff.
Individual therapy: Individual therapy is a crucial component of our treatment program. As such, each client will meet with our marriage and family therapy staff member at least once per week and our substance abuse counselor twice per week. As part of meeting with their substance abuse counselor, clients have the option of including their families via teleconference sessions in order to provide progress updates.
Family therapy: Families can often be a powerful resource for helping clients overcome substance abuse and co-occurring OCD. For clients who wish for their families to be included in treatment, we provide weekly family therapy sessions.
Group therapy: Along with individual therapy, group therapy is a central component of the recovery process. At Sunrise Ranch, groups are led by clinical technicians, chemical dependency counselors, and marriage and family therapists. These groups are provided multiple times per day and some possible topics that may be discussed can include:
- Defense mechanisms
- How substance abuse has negatively affected clients and family members
- Anger management
- Relapse prevention
- Nutrition and wellness
Because recovery is a journey, we also work with our clients from day one to formulate an effective and individualized post-discharge plan so that they can continue the progress they have made towards recovery even after residential treatment is complete. Treatment and rehab options after discharge may include referrals to our partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs as well as other options for treatment depending on each client’s individual rehab and treatment needs.
At Sunrise Ranch in Riverside, we understand that recovery can often be a long and winding journey, especially when a person is recovering from both substance abuse and co-occurring OCD. However, we also know what it takes to help our clients at our treatment center free themselves from the grip of addiction. If you are struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring OCD, give us a call. Tomorrow may bring the brightest sunrise yet.